God’s love is a topic that has been explored and discussed for centuries. Yet it is still as relevant now as ever. The overuse of the word “love” in our culture can create a lack of awareness of how the love of God is distinctly different from how we use the English word “love.” The Bible uses several words in its original language for our English word “love.” Below are ten Bible verses about the love of God, specifically His agape love. Agape is the Greek word for the self-giving love that gives without demanding or expecting repayment — it is the God-kind of love.
If you want to dig deeper into each of these verses, subscribe to our new devotional The Love of God Revealed in Jesus. Subscribe now and receive ten days of devotions about each of these verses right to your inbox. Each devotional will include a reading from the Bible, prayer to begin your time with God, an observation of the Bible passage, an interpretation of the text, and an application to help you apply God’s Word to your life.
10 Bible verses about the love of God
- “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16
- “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. John 15:9-10
- But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. Romans 5:8
- And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39
- But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!) Ephesians 2:4-5
- I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:16-19
- Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:1-2
- Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope, comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say. 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
- See how very much our Father loves us, for he calls us his children, and that is what we are! But the people who belong to this world don’t recognize that we are God’s children because they don’t know him. 1 John 3:1
- God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. 1 John 4:9-10
Explore how God’s love is the foundation of your faith and how you can draw closer to God through His amazing love. Subscribe to our new devotional series The Love of God Revealed in Jesus and you will receive ten days of devotions about God’s love right to your inbox.
We hope you will join us for this journey as we dive deeper into God’s love and how it can bring us closer to Him.